All schools in Prairie Land continue to make wellness a high priority in their schools. Administrators throughout the district have taken on the role of “health champion” in their buildings. “Health” is expected to be included in school improvement plans… and schools have found innovative and fun ways to make this happen.
Schools throughout the division have demonstrated commitment and received recognition for these efforts.
- Delia School – recipient of the Premier’s Award of Distinction for Healthy School Communities (http://www.healthyalberta.com/1281.htm).
- Veteran School – received local, provincial and national attention in the media for their compassion towards a local veteran who had lost his war medals. The students took action by acquiring replicas and presented them to him. The students will be attending Ottawa in the fall during Remembrance Day to be recognized for their inspiring act. See the full story at:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2013/04/01/edmonton-war-medals-replaced-veteran.html
- Morrin School – the SADD chapter had 2 members chosen to represent Alberta in a national traffic safety conference in Ontario this past May. See their story at:http://www.drumhellermail.com/index.php/news/regional-news/12697-morrin-students-elected-to-act-as-alberta-representatives
- Hanna Primary School – received recognition from Alberta Milk for the healthy choices being provided both in nutrition and activity throughout the school. For information on the award visit: http://www.moreaboutmilk.com/innovation.aspx
- J.C. Charyk School - students in Grade 8 developed a pledge against harassment and bullying that was presented and supported through a community wide presentation. For more information, seehttp://www.hanna.ca/Home/tabid/36/ctl/Details/Mid/1813/ItemID/9492/Default.aspx